Using dumbbells instead of a barbell can add an extra dimension to your chest presses as you have to control the stability of each independent arm. They help to work both sides of the body and also to help to focus the weight specifically on the chest.
- Lie down on the bench and ensure your feet are firmly placed on the ground.
- Dig your shoulder blades into the bench.
- Press the dumbbells over the lower part of the chest to engage more of it throughout. Your elbows should be below the chest.
- Breathe out on the way up, breathe in on the way down.
- Keep the movement relatively slow to avoid momentum and keep the abdominals contracted.